Thursday, September 4, 2014

Quarter of a Century...


Man oh man... with September here that means a lot of different things are happening. I can honestly say that I think outside Christmas time, September is the busiest month. I mean, we have school starting, football, soccer, fall camp for basketball, and if you're lucky enough to live in Utah you get to see the leaves start to go from green to yellow to red all in the same month. September is also the birthday month to some of my favorite people: my cousin Hillary, my roommate Rita, one of my closest friends Ande, and just a ton more people, including myself. So this birthday I'm turning 25. A quarter of a century and I can't help but think about in the past 25 years what have I really done with my life? So I started thinking and I came up with a few ideas. 

In the last 25 years I have:

  1. Traveled to nearly every state and 8 different countries
  2. Had more surgeries and sets of stitches that I can keep track of
  3. Tasted some of the most amazing food from all over the world
  4. Held a Tiger shark
  5. Been to Lorde, Cher, 311, Tim McGraw, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, and a number of other concerts
  6. Had every hair style possible in a two year span: Bald, blonde short and spiky, mullet, extensions, shoulder length, long and to my waist.
  7. Cliff jumped off a 30ft cliff
  8. Skied every slope at Alta and Brighton
  9. And with the help and support of too many people to name, I beat cancer


So in 25 years I have managed to do quite a lot I would like to think. But over 25 years I have learned every lesson the hard way. If there were rules I somehow managed to break them, ignore them, or just simply live by my own. At times its made my life exciting and filled with cool scars and great stories. At times its also brought a lot of tears and set backs. Through the good, the bad, the mullet phase, and adrenaline rushes there's one thing that I've learned and continues to manifest itself on a daily basis the most important thing in my life has been:

Family 


Now, my family. I say this all the time but we really do need our own reality TV show. The older we have gotten the more entertaining life has become that's for sure. We all have grown into our personalities and are comfortable with ourselves. Its made for some good laughs along the way. There was a situation recently where I was asked in the odd chance that I had died from the cancer scare what I would say to each of my family members. Lets just say that question really hit home and really just manifested the importance of family. It made me realize yet again how important my family is to me. Each person brings something to the table that helps with the flow. Steve brings the stern Bishop Kaufusi one second and the childish humor the next. Michelle is the glue she keeps us all in line and is the first to do some crazy adventure. Bronson is loud and laughs at everything including himself. Hilary is more quiet and reminds Bronson to use his inside voice. Corbin is fun and free spirited. Daryl is sensitive, awkward, and hilarious. Devin is quiet but can get in the fun when he needs to. Where do I play into all this? I'm the one who's blunt, outspoken, but always in for an adventure. 



We, by no means, are a perfect family. We fight, we have falling outs, and we get on each others nerves. There have been times where phones have been crushed, car keys have been confiscated, and on one particular time a knife was accidentally thrown. We aren't perfect. Getting the pieces to fit correctly took some time but we figured it out. Each person in my family though has made me the person who I am today. They have all taught me something that over the last 25 years makes me who I am. 
  • Steve has taught me to be tough and resilient through any trial in life.
  • Michelle has taught me cleanliness and structure make life a whole lot easier. She also taught me just because I'm a girl should never limit me. 
  • Bronson has taught me to see the good in people and the meaning of dedication
  • Hilary has taught me to always be kind and patient
  • Corbin has taught me to smile and to let loose sometimes
  • Daryl has taught me that its ok to be sensitive and its ok to eat a pack of bacon in one sitting
  • Devin... hasn't taught me anything yet but I'm sure the time will come

Like I said, a family is like a puzzle. You have to get all the pieces to fit and when they do it really is a beautiful thing. I get asked all the time if we really get along as well as it looks in pictures and to be honest, we do. It helps when we have so much in common. We all love to work out. We all love to play sports. And we all love food. But like I said we fight and we disagree we get in arguments. But at the end of day we are family. Blood is thicker than water and I love my family. The older I've gotten I've realized the importance of family and that the bond between brothers, sisters, and parents is stronger than any other. Like I said, I learned my lessons the hard way. Growing up especially in high school I didn't enjoy the time at Tipmview with my brothers, I taught my friends better than the siblings, and I was short tempered and rude with my parents. Now that I'm nearly 25 I can you this, family is everything. 

So as I mentioned before, I was asked what I would say to each of family members if I was going to die... Well that's for me to know and for them to find out when that time comes. 

As I do in most aspects of my life, I have been lucky enough to have an awesome family who loves me and accepts me and my ridiculousness and sometimes joins in on the fun. Side note, if you ever do want a good laugh come by the Gypsy Lair and I can promise you we will show you a good time. 


Alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment