Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Seeeesters



When I was 6, Steve and Michelle announced we were getting another addition to the family. I remember being SO excited because I wanted a sister so bad! I had Bronson and Corbin and well, I love them. But I was out numbered and I wanted a sister. Steve and Michelle came back later and said we were getting two babies instead of one. Now for a 6 year old thats mind blowing and makes absolutely no sense. But when Steve and Michelle said one was a girl and one was a boy, I didn't even care because at the end of the day I was getting a baby sister. Now the twins came a little earlier than expected and I didn't get to see my baby sister until she was a few days old because she was so premature. Now I remember Steve and Michelle telling me she was really sick. I also remember just bits and pieces I picked up from people talking. For a 6 year old I like to think I was smarter than every one thought because I gathered enough information to know that my sister Daryl was so small she was probably going to die. Once again, mind blown. So I remember every night praying and crying that my little sister would live. Well prayers must be answered because Daryl is definitely alive now 17 years later.

Before I go off about how awesome Daryl is... Here are some fun facts about her you might not know...

  • Daryl loves bacon more than life. Its her favorite food and she eats it everyday.
  • Daryl is obsessed with polar bears.
  • Daryl has a twin brother Devin.
  • Daryl used to be a cheerleader.
  • Daryl has the dance to Satisfaction on Dance Central memorized
  • Daryl and her friends refer to themselves as the "Power of Six"
  • Did I mention she loves bacon?
  • Daryl will eat anything for breakfast. Costa Vida, fronsting, cookies, spaghetti. Anything. 
  • Daryl hates reading books.
  • Daryl's dog died and so she really wants a new corgi...
So here's the story of Daryl the princess and me the tom boy. When Daryl was 2 and I was 9 we shared a room. Oh Lord, You wouldn't think I had spent countless nights praying my sister would make it seeing us share that room. Daryl would always get scared every single night and would have to sleep with me. I hated that she wanted to sleep with me. I would tell her to go to Michelle's room upstairs but she was always too scared to go. She would cry usually and end up in my bed. Whenever she would be mad at me she would scratch me. The child had viscous nails like a lion which accounted for many of my current scars on my forearms. No one wanted to make Daryl mad because that meant 1. You were getting scratched and blood would be drawn and 2. You were also getting in trouble from Steve. Daryl is the princess. Daryl loved pink dresses and princesses and wanted to be a princess. When we would go to FAO Swartz she would go immediately to the princess section and try on the dresses and crowns. My Aunt Lisa had a pink robe that she would let Daryl wear because it was the "Princess Robe." Daryl was your typical little girl. Now she still She's very fashionable and wears more make up in a day than I wear in a month. She looks better at Prom and school dances than most girls do on their wedding day. She's just  your typical girl.


Now rewind about 4 years when I was her age. I was the complete opposite. I wanted to play basketball and football. And I was good. I was on a team of all boys and myself. I was the tallest by many inches and I was the only one who could make a layup. We actually have film of me playing and I never passed the ball because the little boys weren't very good anyways. I loved Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles. I always wanted to play the N64 and was always in basketball shorts and high socks and running shoes. I was your typical Tom Boy. Now I feel like most little girls will out grow their tom boy phase. I mean, I know most my friends did. The thing is, I didn't. I still go play basketball with the boys and beat them. I still don't play N64 but I do have my Xbox 360 that I do play. I still wear basketball shorts everyday. In high school Michelle had to make a deal with me I could only wear sweats and basketball shorts 2 out of the 5 school days. I hate shopping for dresses, but if you want to go to Footlocker or Dicks I'll be there in 10. As you can see, Daryl and I are complete opposites.

Now lets fast forward to the present day. Daryl isn't as girly as a girl as she was before. But when she wants to be, she can. I'm still the same, no change here. So how can such opposite little girls become best friends? Well easy, opposites attract. Daryl has become my closest friend. Growing up she was the pink menace that scratched me. Now shes my Wiener Dog and I am dreading her going on a mission because without her for 18 months I might have a break down and be depressed. I might have to relocate to where she serves because someone will need to take care of her. I'm assuming if you have little children or are intelligent you have seen the movie Frozen by now. If you haven't, you can borrow it from me its so good!! It always reminds me of Daryl and I. Daryl is innocent and sweet like Ana. I'm more stand offish and like my space like Elsa. I feel like one day I'm going to have to explain to Daryl that she can't marry a man she just met. When Daryl and I do have to pick dresses Daryl tends to go the conservative route not too revealing with sleeves and flats. I want something shorter, flashier, and a little more revealing with 5 inch heels. We are so opposite.

I won'ts spoil the movie for you if you haven't seen it, but at the end of it all Daryl and I are best friends. She knows everything in my life. I know everything in hers. I may think shes too nice at times and she may think I'm too mean at times. As different as we are we are also similar. I play basketball. She plays soccer. I am obsessed with sharks. She is obsessed with polar bears. I love cinnamon rolls. She loves bacon. We both love sushi. And we both love swig sugar cookies. The bond between sisters is something so strong and it lasts forever. When I go to Daryl's soccer games I'm that annoying fan who yells a ton and when my sister gets hurt you better believe I'm the first one on the field yelling at the ref wanting to know why there was no roughing the keeper call. I have a bad reputation of getting kicked out of Daryl's soccer games I won't lie. 

Daryl and I are 7 years apart just like Michelle and her sister Lisa are. My family actually grew up 5 houses away from my Aunt Lisa for most my life and I got to see first hand what good sisters are like. I hope Daryl and I can be close like that one day. If you have a sister you should probably let them know that you love them. I was never one at expressing my feelings well let alone being emotional and what not but I am so thankful I have Daryl as my little sister. She really is the greatest thing since the Cafe Rio burrito. I got lucky to only have one sister because by default she's my favorite sister. My poor brothers have to fight and battle to get their rankings as favorite brother. Currently Corbin is winning.

On the topic of sisters recently my brother Bronson got married and we got another sister Hilary. Lord bless Hilary because she is a good woman for being married to my brother Bronson. He is the typical little boy. Loud. Stinky. A know it all. She puts up with him well. She also has to deal with my family. We are crazy. I always say we need our own reality TV show because crazy things are always afoot at the Gypsy Lair. Fitting in with a family is never an easy thing to do. Its like moving to a new school. Times one hundred. But Hilary is doing a great job. I mean, your first year of marriage is hard enough now lets throw in a bunch of crazy brown people you now call your family. So I applaud Hilary for first of all living with Bronson and second of all putting up with the rest of us. Sisters just make the world easier. And now with her we have 8 people in the family which means 4 on 4 for family basketball. 

Sisters. Oh sisters. They're the friend that's always going to be there because they're blood. So if you have a sister give her a hug and go watch Frozen. You'll love it and you'll gain a whole new appreciation for your sisters. 

Have a great week everyone! Its only Tuesday but its ok, you can do it!

Alexis

2 comments: